Tuesday, June 5, 2018

It Was All Going So Well...Part 2

To prevent me from having a seizure, they had to start me on a magnesium sulfate drip to keep my pressures normal and to calm down my nervous system. I was warned that this medication would make me feel terrible in every way, but that I needed to be on it for 24 hours in which I would be unable to leave my hospital bed, which meant I even had to have a catheter placed, and I could not eat or drink anything. I don't even know how to explain how awful the next 24 hours were while on the magnesium. It was like I  instantly got the flu and a migraine, and I could not think or even speak clearly. It also made me feel like I was burning from the inside out, so I was hot and sweaty and stuck in bed. It was so very scary, but I knew I had to do this to keep my body from seizing and to keep the baby healthy.

My nurses were wonderful. They constantly checked on me and cooling me down with cold cloths. They kept me positive and strong even though I just wanted to break down the whole time. Mary stayed with me the whole night. She never left my side until Steve was able to get a flight home Tuesday afternoon. I'm sure it was not easy for her to be there and watch me go through this process, but she was so calm and supportive.

I was so relieved when Steve got to the hospital Tuesday afternoon. I was finally able to relax a little and breathe easier with my rock by my side. We weren't able to talk much because I was so out of it from the magnesium, but Steve just kept telling me how strong I was and how great I was doing and he helped me get through the last awful hours of being on the magnesium.

I came off the magnesium drip Tuesday May 22 at 9:50pm and could finally think clearly and talk to Steve. I could finally eat, too! My blood pressure was staying stable while taking blood pressure medication after the magnesium was stopped, and the plan was to wait until Thursday the 24th to induce because I would be 34 weeks and it would be safer for the baby.

I also received both betamethasone steroid injections to help make sure that the baby's lungs were fully developed.

I had an ultrasound in the hospital on Wednesday May 23. The baby looked great and showed no signs of being in distress. The placenta looked normal, the fluid level was normal, and by his measurements he was estimated to weigh 5lbs 2oz.
Since my blood pressure was staying stable and my blood work showed that the pre- eclampsia had not affected my liver or kidney function, and because the baby was not in any distress, the high risk OB doctor at the hospital said that it would be safe to hold off inducing me for as long as we could instead of inducing at 34 weeks.

I was admitted to the hospital and put on strict bed rest. Each day that we made it keeping the baby safely inside to keep growing and developing was a milestone. The goal was to make it to at least 35 weeks minimum and 37 weeks maximum with the understanding that if my blood pressure became unstable, or the pre-eclampsia began to affect my liver and kidney function or I had any other severe symptoms then we would plan to induce immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Prayers were coming from every part of the country. I stayed home as long as possible but made the decision I sanctioning see Katie on Tuesday May 29th. I couldn't wait any longer.

    ReplyDelete