I began my hospital confinement (hospital bedrest) the afternoon of Wednesday May 23.
I was put on blood pressure medication and had my blood pressure monitored every hour, (yes, even through the night) blood work every other day, and a Non Stress Test to check on the baby twice a day. I was ordered to keep my stress level low and rest as much as possible.
I have no idea how they expected me to rest when someone was coming in the room to take my blood pressure every hour, then coming in for medications, then the residents coming in at 4am to do rounds. After they saw that my blood pressure was stable for two days, they changed the blood pressure checks to every 4 hours.
I did pretty well with staying calm most of the time, but all I could think about was being home and all of the things I needed to get done to get ready for the baby. I knew I had to lean on my support system and surrender to this process because there was no fighting it. I was stuck in the hospital until it was time to bring my baby into the world, and it was nothing that I expected to happen, but I had to make the best of it.
My brother and sister in-law went to my house and helped clean it up and organize to get things ready for the baby's arrival. They organized the rest of the nursery and set up baby gear for us around the house. What did I do to deserve such amazing love and support? I am so very grateful that they did these things for us, and it gave me peace of mind while I was stuck in the hospital unable to do any of these things.
I had lots of visitors to help pass the time and bring me and Cubby yummy food. I missed all of the nice warm summer weather and all of the fun Memorial Day picnics. However, I made friends with my nurses and they were all so wonderful to me. Nothing like nurses sneaking you popsicles in the wee hours of the night because you're awake anyway so may as well enjoy a delicious frozen snack.
My blood pressure was stable with the help of the medication they put me on. My labs that were taken every other day were staying normal....Until the morning of Monday May 26th.
I was up all night with what I thought was a bad stomach ache. I thought that my dinner just didn't sit right, but even with taking Tums and Gas-X, the stomach ache persisted.
I knew something was up when my blood pressure was higher that morning than it had been, and my doctor came in early that morning for rounds.
My blood work showed that my liver enzymes and kidney function were no longer in the normal range, and the "stomach ache" I had was actually swelling and inflammation of my liver.
My doctor explained that it was no longer safe for me to keep the baby inside because the pre-eclampsia was damaging my organs and the sooner the baby the was delivered, the sooner the pre-eclampsia would be cured and the symptoms would stop.
The decision was made to start labor induction that morning.
I have no idea how they expected me to rest when someone was coming in the room to take my blood pressure every hour, then coming in for medications, then the residents coming in at 4am to do rounds. After they saw that my blood pressure was stable for two days, they changed the blood pressure checks to every 4 hours.
I did pretty well with staying calm most of the time, but all I could think about was being home and all of the things I needed to get done to get ready for the baby. I knew I had to lean on my support system and surrender to this process because there was no fighting it. I was stuck in the hospital until it was time to bring my baby into the world, and it was nothing that I expected to happen, but I had to make the best of it.
My brother and sister in-law went to my house and helped clean it up and organize to get things ready for the baby's arrival. They organized the rest of the nursery and set up baby gear for us around the house. What did I do to deserve such amazing love and support? I am so very grateful that they did these things for us, and it gave me peace of mind while I was stuck in the hospital unable to do any of these things.
I had lots of visitors to help pass the time and bring me and Cubby yummy food. I missed all of the nice warm summer weather and all of the fun Memorial Day picnics. However, I made friends with my nurses and they were all so wonderful to me. Nothing like nurses sneaking you popsicles in the wee hours of the night because you're awake anyway so may as well enjoy a delicious frozen snack.
My blood pressure was stable with the help of the medication they put me on. My labs that were taken every other day were staying normal....Until the morning of Monday May 26th.
I was up all night with what I thought was a bad stomach ache. I thought that my dinner just didn't sit right, but even with taking Tums and Gas-X, the stomach ache persisted.
I knew something was up when my blood pressure was higher that morning than it had been, and my doctor came in early that morning for rounds.
My blood work showed that my liver enzymes and kidney function were no longer in the normal range, and the "stomach ache" I had was actually swelling and inflammation of my liver.
My doctor explained that it was no longer safe for me to keep the baby inside because the pre-eclampsia was damaging my organs and the sooner the baby the was delivered, the sooner the pre-eclampsia would be cured and the symptoms would stop.
The decision was made to start labor induction that morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment